2.19.2014
This Summer, Only One Man Can Escape Mediocrity
I've been thinking a lot about what I've got to lose
now, I'm no loose-cannon, days-from-retiring
messianic hero whose adversaries have
"messed with the wrong man"
but
I'd like to believe that I could risk it all on a dream
and never look back
never regret
The tired life of the Hollywood beat cop
nameless in a walk-on role
won't forgo his paycheck for a chance to catch the crook
let someone else handle it
play it by the book
Stupidity and Courage
couldn't be identified in a lineup
bring in your expert witness
they'll all look like Recklessness
What have I got to lose?
I'm going in!
high stakes!... I'm just playing the long con
hanging back, saving, saving, planning, plotting
but the sinking feeling of cement in the soles of my trainers
reminds me that it's entirely possible
that I'm lying to myself
and I've silently given up
and I'm going to rot here
pretending I have potential until I wake up and I'm 45
and I've done nothing
I hit the bottom of the lake and kick off the shoes
fighting to survive
I've done it before, I'll do it again
surfacing to sirens
"I've got him!" some walkie-talkie blares
A close shave, but we're saved
Someday I'll get the drop on them
and I won't waste it
until then... more paperwork.
What have I got to lose?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment