A thick shroud of early morning fog
Dogs walking past dragging
Dogged owners, eyes averted
I draw the strings on my hood tighter
Seventy steady paces to the car
Keyed ignition
A yawn and a few involuntary curses
The clock says I'm right on time
But I feel early.
Another day
Another dollar
Tuck it under your mattress with the others
Destined to become
Quarters for laundry
Change for groceries
Quarters for Galaga
A tip for the bartender.
The same turns, the same lanes
Up the interstate
NPR, some shuffled playlist
Or internal monologue.
Where would I be if I weren't right here?
If I were elsewhere, writing a book
Designing a game, shooting a scene
Who would I be if I just broke free
Stopped hedging my bets and bet on me?
A ping from the gas light
I need to fill up
I need a car wash
I need a haircut, I have bills to pay.
I've fought hard to keep up
For a good long time
My dreams will survive
A few more days.
No comments:
Post a Comment