7.22.2016

Futurism, or, Selective Optimistic Naivety

On the white page
I've just populated in your head
draw a line segment
(a line extends forever)

my life exists along this line
every choice made, every heart broken
every smile, every drop of sweat
all of it in a row

But from inside
(now draw some branches, go on)
I can see these other worlds
other versions of me

I charge ahead
but I must confess
the other ones
they generally seem like they're 
having a better go of it

So what makes me
the one in charge
truest timeline
truest self

and moreover
how do I keep it that way?


I look ahead
(along that straight line)
and I can finally conceive of the end

so I picture the thread
which will lead me to the finish
with the least regrets

A darker path
but an honest one
but how can you know for sure?

I peer at the others
so confident they chose right
their pleasant days and restful nights

But how can you steer
from what rings true
away from the magnetic, the gravitational


Take a deep breath now and close your eyes
Erase the many forks and branches

I must always move forward
and so I march on

The flanking phantoms fade
the gnarled path reveals itself to me

But no matter where it leads
it travels along the line.


some days I just want to hope

or be naive enough

to believe

and I think I finally do.





No comments:

Post a Comment