How much longer can this possibly last?
injustice is imbalanced, and an equilibrium must be reached
does my happiness weigh just as much as all of this misfortune?
Where is it?
the contentedness they claim comes from inside me is notably absent from today's proceedings
in its place, the people who represent all of the places I have failed
all of my misgivings
my shortcomings
every time I didn't measure up
every witness to my insufficience
they all have come to see me stand trial
and I ask you, Jury of my seemingly random peers
How much longer do I have to wait for the sun to come out
how much rain must one endure?
how long do I have to watch myself drowning in the gutters before this precipitation evaporates
Let me tell you a story, ladies and gentlemen of the jury
let me confess
let me testify
I have looked into the eyes of my love
and her eyes have stared into mine
and I have felt something real
And that moment
brought forth the most powerful of feelings
stirred deep in me something I cannot hope to describe here
And so as I always do
I took all of my joy and hope
and all of the love I had
and I poured it into her
And for a time, it was good.
But she feared something in me
she had been scarred
she had been hurt
she saw in me but another chance to be tied down
to be held against her will
to be cut by the ever-present blade that sneaks its way into even the most courteous gentleman's pocket
And so she lived this way, she ran until she lost sight of me
and then she would stop
set up camp
(in a clearing, alonestly, in a wooded place you may remember)
and when I arrived
I would catch fleeting glances of warmth behind her guarding eyes
and then
a flash of white
like a rabbit vanishing into the tall grass
like a deer gracefully leaping into the woods
Now, Ladies and gentleman of the jury
and for that matter, those seated for the prosecution
feel free to object at any time
feel free
like I once did
It came to pass that I would have her
and in the letters she sent she spoke of growth
and of a new day
and of the most wonderful of feelings
of comfort in one another
of joy in the simple moments
she spoke of what most men would call love
someone to share your dreams, your desires, your successes and failures
your heart.
Could this be it? I wondered
a break from the madness
a calm from the storm
happiness with another, something I had longed for
despite my contentedness?
(It is true, I was content
and it's the only way I could have loved her
I could be myself
and still care for her
and her for me)
Would she be someone I could share my passions with
my ideas, however convoluted
my interests, however bizarre
my dreams, how silly they were/are!
And so that day came when I was to finally see it come forth
and on that day something happened
forgive me, my memory fails me
but it seemed like I was myself
and then suddenly,
she was gone
or is she?
It's painfully unclear at this point.
Ladies and gentlemen of the jury...
Hello?
Hello?
Fitting.
Her honey hair catches the breeze off the ocean
ReplyDeleteGrey skies pull at the green of her eyes
And a tear
“I never wanted any of this to happen
my life plan- all white picket fences…
find someone, fall in love,
a house, a home, kids, a good dog,
safe and warm.
I could always blame
The guy
But responsibility for this
Is shared.”
She begins to run
There is no one on the sandy shores
She could be anywhere
But here.
What is she running from,
Why does she stay?
Like a child:
“He started it!”
Like a wistful lover:
“they were always reincarnations of me.”
Like an Old Woman:
“You conceited girl!”
She is torn
Between the sand and the sea.
Maybe she will drown out there
But taking chances
On the wild waves
May set her free.
But what adventure!
Pirates, sailing ships
Foreign lands
Buried treasures.
Rubies and Diamonds,
The promises on seas
As high as the stakes.
Her boring life
Her sleepless nights.
She lays awake
With voyage on the edge of her mind
“hello again” on the tip of her tongue
Can we ever really leave each other?
The Old Woman:
Girl, don’t play with fire
Unless you expect to be burned.
The child:
(But what if he burned me first?)