What then?
(In truth, I never thought I'd be having this conversation)
I see the woman where she stands, and the man in his place
And I see myself sitting between them, smiling nervously to passers-by
it is not unlike the moments in which we are at our weakest
where we can see all of our flaws, all of our misgivings
Only here I am seeing them manifest
and I can spot every imperfection on the body I know all too well
I take a stroll to take my mind off of itself
and it's then that I see them:
Those mirror faces, those people who may have been me
Those mirrored faces, and the infinite loop when they reflect my pane
not physical or emotional, but flawlessly windexed
A streak-free shine
but not without imperfection
"That which is imperfect is unique!
We are all unique, all of us
They told us that so many times
And we are. Unique no matter how similar
Fraternal and not identical!"
I shout at them but they pay no mind
but they stroll past rubbernecking at me
I suddenly resemble a ten car pile-up
And those mirror faces, those people who will be me
they shake their heads and pray
So I wander far away from them
passing my lifeless body where it sits
pausing in amusement at my gaping mouth and blank eyes
I am a puppet waiting to be posed
There is so much potential in me
So what then,
if I was outside of myself?
Evaluating my worth
reading a poem by some other me
(as I am now)?
I just want to see what you see
to view myself as an unbiased party
a book who divorces himself from his contents
to judge his own cover
No comments:
Post a Comment