these float on the surface
face up
demanding to be acknowledged
and so I string them up
crisscrossing the room on fishing line
a visual map of my memories
a garden of forgotten moments to wander through
as I circle the setup
calculating
a few of these pictures align like planets
in a solar system simulation on some
public television science special:
1.
I'm young
playing in the yard
everything is green and faded yellow
even then, I lived in sepia
my father washing a car that isn't his
a company car
and the sun is setting on brynthrop lane
In the distance I hear the heavenly tune
and I rush into my room
I tear through a broken electric coin bank
the kind that sorts change
but nothing
and in my panic and desperation
I turn to my father
But he has no sympathy for me, this time
and the ice cream truck blazes by as I tear up
running back to my room
I don't remember what my room looks like
but I do remember what i could hear from inside
that truck's melody muffled by a lawnmower next door
I cover my head and cry.
2.
My grandfather is dead
and my sister and mother and father are all crying
and I'm standing in the funeral parlor remembering the hospital
the silvery blues and flaring lights as I squint
and holding his hand minutes before he died
I'm young, and I don't get it
but at the same time, I do
and I'm handling it, I'm keeping it inside
My sister turns to me, weeping
and she goes off
'Don't you get it? He's dead!
He's never coming back! Don't you care?'
It's then that I cry.
Not for grandpa
but for myself
3.
My Buick LeSabre was freedom
the arm rest went up
like in the movie theaters we frequented
and she could sit close
We were so young, so reckless
no better way to be
it was a parking lot in plain sight
We sunk down in the front seats
I let the blue interior of my grandfather's car envelop me
She touches me for the first time
We strip down
Her purple lace against pale skin
hot breath on necks
were they watching? the kids with their street racers
the starbucks sat across from us
None of it mattered
it was sweat and lace and dirty words
and I was in love.
you don't understand
ReplyDeletehow close
i walk
to the edge
of a very
dangerous
idea