5.28.2015

Correspondences: 05/27/15; “IV: The Forgotten Spectre”

Hail!

My fair friend's voice echoes back across the chasm
the metaphorical divide we are so quick to liken
to an impassable, impossible distance
formless though it may be

Fear not! Your note finds me Well
and you are not lost in one
a bucket tangled in rope
seeking refreshment
but instead a fount of curiosities and musings
in truth, I am grateful simply to hear your voice again.

I was walking along the beach shortly after your letter reached me
(literally; not along the shores of the mind as you describe)
but its vastness instilled a great admiration
for the depths and infinite possibilities therein

but also! the soul, ever expanding outward
and our tendency to desire more
without a pause to consider the great distances
it has already traveled

but it is our calling, friend
our true calling
to plumb the depths of the mind
to seek the new frontiers shrouded in darkness
the so called "enlightenment"

Truth is how we define it
the eyes are the record keepers
to help the hands grasp the ledges
to lift our hearts toward the heavens
to find the words to speak out across great chasms
physical, analog
digital, ephemeral

Hail!

Write back soon;
for I can hardly bear to hear my own empty musings
bouncing off these canyon walls


E.B.




1 comment:

  1. E.B.,
    my friend.

    As I get
    older I realize that
    everyone just gives up. It's
    how they cope. There really are
    no winners, but we carry
    on pretending otherwise—
    holding our heads high enough,
    having our shoulders only
    slightly hunch, singing the songs
    we were taught and breathing, al
    ways breathing.

    In the end, our
    only choices are awake
    or asleep, and here I am,
    tired (as always), alone, the
    setting sun a metronome.
    I hum along in tempo,
    the song of my family,
    the song of my country, and
    always the song of every
    thing.

    Where did that utmost
    melody originate?
    Was it a god or a tape
    recorder? Either way, some
    thing takes and something gives and
    I sing my song accordingly.

    ReplyDelete