You're meant to play again
this is just one version
but it's the one I am stuck with
choices can't be un-chosen
slalom gates cleared with reckless abandon
right before I crossed my skis
and sprained my wrist racing Billy
Driving at night
past the construction cones
the concrete divider
so very close
so very fast
the high school scope
the scale of drama
when sex seemed like the peak of commitment
and you kissed her in the parking lot
smoking again
what, he won't say
trimming down the telemeres
shorter length of play
A salute and a handshake
promises made and broken
a thick packet for admission
dreams that I could follow through
and I did, depending on who
you ask
reflecting on the windshield
blinking, shaking my head
the concrete divider
so very close
it'd be so easy
math disagrees with me
too bad the things that didn't
are too subjective to pay
I entered the lottery anyway
You Only Live Once
maybe next time you'll get it
a missed bus, a skipped class
a broken heart
a guilty piece of ass
could have gone for something stable
turned tail and ran
I was raised to chase bravery
but i'm not a brave man
was so convinced i'd be unhappy
selling spreadsheets to suits
36 turns later, my new boss asks me: "do you golf?"
whoops.
took a wrong left turn, and it's just about half-time
can't reload or revert
might be better to just
throw it away
woefully underleveled
critically undergeared
ridiculed and downplayed
instead of respected and feared
permanent death
what a ridiculous deal
as though Death can be defeated
as though we can stop the wheel
"it'd be so easy"
but I paid good money to not get paid
and I'm going to see this run through
to its mediocre end
probably won't even get to put my initials in.
No comments:
Post a Comment