I don't deal with it well
Death, I mean
(though that statement is more broadly applicable than I'd like)
I have never been able to grasp
the enormity of loss
the finality of it
He passed away and I remember it hurting
but a dull, ever-present throb
not a sharp spike
time waltzes on and it's been 20 years.
every adult child
dreads the loss of a parent
because every year we learn more about how precious life is
I love him more than I like him
does that make sense?
and I respect him more than that
we're in worship and reflection, on opposite ends of the country
remembering his dad, my grandfather
and I can't help but think of him
How will I honor him? by living a full life
by treating others well
living with an open heart
But it's too soon for that now
he's still smiling, strumming the guitar
still falling asleep to
ken burns on cable
time waltzes on
a long, meandering song
I'll be back to see you before too long
a couple more verses, please
a few more times around
just until I'm certain that I've made you proud
Love you.
No comments:
Post a Comment