5.10.2007

On Castles and Rising Tides

Sometimes you seem like you're sick of the whole thing
like it's wearing down on you, having me so in love
Sometimes it seems like you're milking it, like somehow you'll pull off
this heist, this con, play me like a fiddle, or a playskool xylophone
Sometimes you look at me and I can see sorrow, like you're sad that I'll someday see
that you don't like me like me, and you just like me
(And I'll jump off the swingset and run away, wishing recess were over)
Sometimes I see and hear genuine excitement, like you're throwing your inhibitions away,
like you wouldn't mind spending the summer with me, like a whirlwind affair would be all in good fun
Sometimes I think you patronize me
Sometimes I think that YOU think that I'm too young
sometimes I feel content with you as my friend
sometimes I don't
there it is, then

Sometimes I consider leaning in
sometimes I consider walking away
sometimes you look like you'd like the former
sometimes you smile, as though to say
'sorry kiddo, not today'
You calm me down just as well as you rile me up
and I have never felt so comfortable with someone
No pressure, no worries
Sometimes I want to hold you
sometimes you want me to
at least I hope you do

if this all sounds infantile
it's because i'm writing it with a ridiculous grin on my face
in childlike wonder
on a beach somewhere
staring at the water
building a sandcastle
that will stand forever
in my mind
I go there sometimes
to think about all of this
someday I hope to take you there
maybe on a date

that would be nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment