There it is
that's the end of it.
so it goes, says the late satirist
I sign my name in blood on the last page
of a book full of sloppily handwritten notes
all letters sent
all returned to sender
thanks but no thanks
too late for words
this book chronicles a drunken waltz
through a china shop
where the plates are priceless memories
and the cups are filled with blessings
that i proceed to spill all over the floor
I'm a passed out clerk at the counter
and none of the noise wakes me
and though I cause great damage
to the entire store
Yes, this book is a quick read
there isn't much substance
it's the same four pages over and over again
(the writer's block is made of lead
and it's chained to all four appendages)
The same four pages, save for the last three
on each a part of me dies
bringing closure to our story
the first is well deserved
the second was premeditated
the third was a surprise
but here I am
signing my name
owning up to these things that they claim
because I know why this happened
and I understand that I made this mistake
I've been an asshole, plain and simple
and these deaths are simply proof
that no matter how many sorries are spoken
they mean nothing but I O U
and even that implies a far off time when the debts will be paid
and tomorrow is never here until yesterday
and by then it's just too late
I wish you'd stop sending me pictures of the error of my ways
been there, done that
I saw it live
I paid extra for a front row seat to my own undoing
and the curtains opened
and the actors emerged
and our protagonist began to act in ways that i found unnervingly familiar
and as the rising action rose
and things came to a head
I find myself without a voice to scream
to scream at him
I wish this would stop
this ironic dream sequence
watching myself make the same mistakes
reading the same four pages of script
adapted from a book of the same name
that I finished ten minutes ago
just sent it to my editor
and then washed my bloody hands to no avail
because my whole body is bloody
and it will take more than water this time
It will take more than water.
I will have to change
and I don't think i can fake it this time
I don't think I can lie to myself about this anymore.
velvet curtain smother me
red like the blood that i long to be rid of
show the people what they want to see
but know that I won't give up
I'm made a martyr
and to that I've agreed
but I'm done reading lines
following scripts
find a new male lead.
I refuse to become a villain for you
and even if you always see me in that way
I'll be someone's hero in time
somewho somehow someday
Sitting at a table in a bookstore
I sign another autograph on another jacket
of a book of these same four pages
nausea.
that's the end of it.
so it goes, says the late satirist
I sign my name in blood on the last page
of a book full of sloppily handwritten notes
all letters sent
all returned to sender
thanks but no thanks
too late for words
this book chronicles a drunken waltz
through a china shop
where the plates are priceless memories
and the cups are filled with blessings
that i proceed to spill all over the floor
I'm a passed out clerk at the counter
and none of the noise wakes me
and though I cause great damage
to the entire store
Yes, this book is a quick read
there isn't much substance
it's the same four pages over and over again
(the writer's block is made of lead
and it's chained to all four appendages)
The same four pages, save for the last three
on each a part of me dies
bringing closure to our story
the first is well deserved
the second was premeditated
the third was a surprise
but here I am
signing my name
owning up to these things that they claim
because I know why this happened
and I understand that I made this mistake
I've been an asshole, plain and simple
and these deaths are simply proof
that no matter how many sorries are spoken
they mean nothing but I O U
and even that implies a far off time when the debts will be paid
and tomorrow is never here until yesterday
and by then it's just too late
I wish you'd stop sending me pictures of the error of my ways
been there, done that
I saw it live
I paid extra for a front row seat to my own undoing
and the curtains opened
and the actors emerged
and our protagonist began to act in ways that i found unnervingly familiar
and as the rising action rose
and things came to a head
I find myself without a voice to scream
to scream at him
I wish this would stop
this ironic dream sequence
watching myself make the same mistakes
reading the same four pages of script
adapted from a book of the same name
that I finished ten minutes ago
just sent it to my editor
and then washed my bloody hands to no avail
because my whole body is bloody
and it will take more than water this time
It will take more than water.
I will have to change
and I don't think i can fake it this time
I don't think I can lie to myself about this anymore.
velvet curtain smother me
red like the blood that i long to be rid of
show the people what they want to see
but know that I won't give up
I'm made a martyr
and to that I've agreed
but I'm done reading lines
following scripts
find a new male lead.
I refuse to become a villain for you
and even if you always see me in that way
I'll be someone's hero in time
somewho somehow someday
Sitting at a table in a bookstore
I sign another autograph on another jacket
of a book of these same four pages
nausea.
Powered by ScribeFire.
Interesting to know.
ReplyDelete