1.06.2010

I Avoid Murdering People Every Day, Part 2

Will it end like so many records?
a long fading loop
the pain dulling in cycles

or will it just drop off one day
unexpectedly
as though I'd failed to see the cross I was hauling
someone comes up to me and says "Let me take that for you"

or maybe I'll just get used to it
like a leaky faucet or a cold shower
I'll adjust

I avoid murdering people every day
they cut me off at intersections
they hold me up in line at the drug store
they kindly inform me that I'll have to call customer support

but this is a challenge, and it's going to stay that way
I have so many weapons to use against you
to bring chaos and revenge and shame down upon this place
but you're still my brother
and you remember that

You're still my brother,
hanging on to the edge of compassion
hanging off the end of my rope
and you're slipping
I avoid murdering people every day
but I have no sympathy for those who bring it upon themselves

No comments:

Post a Comment