12.07.2006

Bodies of Water are a Theme...

The One Got Away is best left Away

As I stood
Frustrated
counting my cursings on several severed fingers
Chasing a temporary solution
Watching my options dwindle
As I watch her strut into the sunset
I am the bigger man here
But my size seems to mean more emptiness to fill
I key my car as I pull the door open
denting the car next to me
Doing the right thing feels like doing nothing at all
But

BUT
It finally occurred to me
The number of fish in this sea
I am always so quick to cover up when faced with the cold, harsh alonesty
I rarely let myself adjust to the temperature, the climate, the beauty of it
Perhaps, Yes, Maybe, No, If, Hmm
You can hypothesize all you want, kid!
Actions don't talk, but you aren't saying much anyway, so who gives a shit?
hold your neck out!
into that cold air, out your car window, away from safety
hold your neck out!
the guillotine is rubber
we'll all laugh when it bounces
surprise!
What's the HARM?
How's it foul?
you can hit them just left of the yellow pole all day
but it will NEVER be your third strike
HOLD
YOUR NECK
OUT
and pray for lips instead of the axe you so fear
for blades that seem so imminent
are rarely as near
as we perceive them to be
peering with our mind's eye
It's not so cold, you don't need outerwear
feel free to grab a sweater
but don't be afraid to take it off
the sun is shining tonight
and this secondhand store
is vast
and full of items to be tried on

Another passing glance at a path
exit 26a on the left
And for once you haven't visited that point of interest
(or was this one a tourist trap?)
You've done the right thing
And good things rarely go unrewarded
Maybe it's a sign
that you should stop thinking about who you "need"
and start considering what needs you.

No comments:

Post a Comment