EXT. HIGHWAY -- NIGHT
The road is barren, and the trees that line it uniform. There is a fog that obscures the horizon, and a light rain that hazes everything else. The road has been repaved, and lines have yet to be painted. The effect is that of a single, wide lane.
Our HERO, arbitrary, of an average height and build, is seen driving a late-model vehicle into the distance. He suddenly slams on the brakes and exits his vehicle, preparing himself for his inevitable monologue and crane shot. Rain soaks his clothes and hair. His visage is untouched.
After a moment, he speaks.
The road is barren, and the trees that line it uniform. There is a fog that obscures the horizon, and a light rain that hazes everything else. The road has been repaved, and lines have yet to be painted. The effect is that of a single, wide lane.
Our HERO, arbitrary, of an average height and build, is seen driving a late-model vehicle into the distance. He suddenly slams on the brakes and exits his vehicle, preparing himself for his inevitable monologue and crane shot. Rain soaks his clothes and hair. His visage is untouched.
After a moment, he speaks.
HERO
Why is it I that must bear the pain
of being the protagonist? I care not
to understand this plot or plan or
system of interchangeable events
sometimes referred to as the, quote,
"grand scheme of things". I am through
being burdened by making proper
decisions in the face of insurmountable
odds. I long to be free of the challenges
that are imposed upon me to generate
conflict
rising action
climax
and resolution!
I am finished playing the part of the
victim for the satisfaction of a captive
audience. I cannot betray this new idea!
The rain stops, and it becomes apparent that things are changing.
Why is it I that must bear the pain
of being the protagonist? I care not
to understand this plot or plan or
system of interchangeable events
sometimes referred to as the, quote,
"grand scheme of things". I am through
being burdened by making proper
decisions in the face of insurmountable
odds. I long to be free of the challenges
that are imposed upon me to generate
conflict
rising action
climax
and resolution!
I am finished playing the part of the
victim for the satisfaction of a captive
audience. I cannot betray this new idea!
The rain stops, and it becomes apparent that things are changing.
HERO
From this moment forward I will act
of my own accord.
and not in the way
I am expected to
by my fellow performers
From this moment forward I will act
of my own accord.
and not in the way
I am expected to
by my fellow performers
I will break conventions.
I will destroy the borders
the fourth wall will be a doorway
to a new and exciting day
Is it worth it to be the good guy?
I have often questioned this
and the
I will destroy the borders
the fourth wall will be a doorway
to a new and exciting day
Is it worth it to be the good guy?
I have often questioned this
and the
CUT TO:
INT. BEDROOM - 1:57 AM
A familiar scene. Your home. She sits at your desk, reading his poem.
HEROINE
And what of this?
you would abandon your duties
as a driving force
to live as you please
to travel off course?
why, without my dear hero
I am all but lost
so sure, have your freedom
but free at what cost?
My heroes have all betrayed my trust
you're the last in a long line in a cycle of lust
And so I'll take a hint and I'll take a cue
and I'll vanish, I'll fade,I'll leave
And what of this?
you would abandon your duties
as a driving force
to live as you please
to travel off course?
why, without my dear hero
I am all but lost
so sure, have your freedom
but free at what cost?
My heroes have all betrayed my trust
you're the last in a long line in a cycle of lust
And so I'll take a hint and I'll take a cue
and I'll vanish, I'll fade,I'll leave
WIPE TO:
EXT. HIGHWAY -- DAY
The trees as all skewed now. The rain has stopped. Our hero is sitting on the hood of his car, wearing his shirt over his head to protect him from the scorching SUN. The HEROINE arrives on her trendy moped, but the format abruptly changes.
I am no hero
I've just grown tired of doing what's right for me
some days I wish I could break character
go from admirable
to self destructive
but I can't seem to summon the strength anymore
I write and I write
and I consider and hypothesize
but doing
doing is something way different
what a tragedy
not strong enough to do the right thing
too much honor to do the wrong
The trees as all skewed now. The rain has stopped. Our hero is sitting on the hood of his car, wearing his shirt over his head to protect him from the scorching SUN. The HEROINE arrives on her trendy moped, but the format abruptly changes.
I am no hero
I've just grown tired of doing what's right for me
some days I wish I could break character
go from admirable
to self destructive
but I can't seem to summon the strength anymore
I write and I write
and I consider and hypothesize
but doing
doing is something way different
what a tragedy
not strong enough to do the right thing
too much honor to do the wrong
CONFIDANTE Wonk wonk.
But ultimately
this is the part I was born to play
and i must endure
because
(wanna hear a secret?)
I used to pretend I was a hero
back when I was small
and in my darkest hours
I still do.
this is the part I was born to play
and i must endure
because
(wanna hear a secret?)
I used to pretend I was a hero
back when I was small
and in my darkest hours
I still do.
JEFF
Don't we all?
Don't we all?
No comments:
Post a Comment