10.22.2008

A Letter from Future-Me to Me on the Subject of Progress.

Dear Sir,

If one thinks of life
not as a series of events
or goals
as a ladder with many rungs upon it
heading towards some far-off rooftop
but as a flat plane
(a desert plain, perhaps)
infinite

then they might ask
what does this mean
in what direction do I travel
where is my map
where am I headed?

to which I would write this:


It matters not in which direction you walk
so long as you consider each footstep
and count them as you go.
Remember to stop and consider for what reason you are walking
and along the way, appreciate what your chosen path has provided for you.
If you come across a flower, consider it.
If you arrive at a long stick, walk with it.
If your chosen path graces you with a road, take it
(because the things we most regret always begin with what if)

Progress
and the idea thereof
is what you make it
the distance you travel is not important,
only that you recognize that you are traveling.


Enjoy your hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment